Tuesday 26 October 2010

NaNoWriMo 2010

It's that time of year again. NationalNovelWritingMonth is fast approaching - November 1st - and I'm just about to hit the panic button.

For those of you who haven't heard of the madness that is NaNo, the aim is to write a 50,000 word novel - in a month! Yikes!

Now, I've never written a novel before - well, not a complete one - but nothing ventured nothing gained as they say, so this is my second attempt to hit the magic 50K. Last year I reached 35,424 before my plot went pear-shaped, my characters stopped talking to me, my prose became so stilted it resembled a circus performer and I finally lost the will to live.

This year I'm prepared! (It's what comes of having been a Guide Leader). No, honestly. I've packed my work-in-progress off on an eight week holiday and probably won't see it again until after Christmas. And I've done my preparation. I have:
A plot (of sorts)
A cast of characters (ditto)
A list of scenes
Some snatches of dialogue
And a cracking opening.

Now all I need is a plausible ending. Oh, and a reason why the person wotdunit, dunit. (It's supposed to be a crime novel.)
Not much to ask, is it?

I am sure that during the month I shall write such a pile of unmitigated tosh that my specially commissioned crapometer will need the turbo-thrust setting engaged on a daily basis.

Time will tell.

I hope to add up-dates during the month - so stay tuned.

Happy writing.

Lynda

No comments:

Post a Comment